Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Oreo Truffles

A year or so ago I got introduced to these fabulous Oreo truffles at a friend's baby shower. It was love at first bite. I asked for the recipe and was blown away at how simple they were to make.
Tonight one of my daughter's had a friend sleepover- and I thought they needed a fun activity.... Turkey Truffle's were born. (they also ride the short bus.... if you know what I mean... ;D)

1 package Oreos (I used reduced fat)
1 8oz package cream cheese (I used reduced fat) { {room temperature} }
1 14 oz bag Wilton's Candy Melts or a pound of dipping chocolate
2 tablespoons shortening
To decorate:
Candy Corn
Mini Oreo's
1 candy necklace
1/2 cup orange frosting
1/2 cup white frosting

To make truffles:
(This is exactly what I did... not kidding... it's this easy...) Put every one of the Oreo cookies into my Kitchen-Aid with the paddle attachment. Cover with a dish towel to prevent fly away cookies. Turn the Kitchen-Aid on slow to break up the Oreo cookies into fine crumbs. (there are a few lumps....) Add the cream cheese to the crumbs and blend together. Once cream cheese and cookies become a wet mixture. Roll mixture into balls (I got about 20.) Place balls on a pan and put into fridge for 1 hour (or more if you can't get to it right away.)
To melt chocolate- Put it into a microwave safe bowl- add 2Tbs shortening into the chocolate and turn microwave on for 30 seconds. After every 30 seconds take bowl out of microwave and give it a little stir. Repeat until chocolate is melted.

To Make Turkeys take a mini-oreo and divide in two. After dipping the Oreo Truffle into the melted chocolate, put on top of the mini-oreo 'feet'. Quickly... very quickly (as the chocolate hardens fast) put a mini-oreo on as the head and candy corn feathers on the body. Put dollops of white frosting on to adhere the candy necklace eyeballs- and use the orange frosting to make a beak and feet.

Let dry for a minute or two.... and gobble up. Get it... Gobble up?!? HA!

If you aren't going to eat the gobblers right away, put in fridge for storage.

1 comment:

  1. These are so cute! You're so creative :) Did you splurge on one?

    ReplyDelete