Saturday, September 11, 2010

Tlacyo Masa Pockets


I put a bag of black beans in a pot to soak and told Chip to find a recipe for dinner using the beans. When he showed me a recipe from Serious Eats website. I was a skeptic at first when I looked at it- but after I made them.... DELISH! I am a convert to this meal.
To make the tortilla part:
2 cups Masa flour (found in Mexican isle or Mexican stores)
1 1/2 cups water
2 teaspoons of salt
Roll in a ball and save for later

For filling:
3/4 onion- chopped
1 garlic clove chopped (1 tablespoon minced garlic)
- saute until onion is tender and a little golden
Add 1 1/2 cups black beans (one can)
1 teaspoon of salt

Chop 1/3 cup cilantro
1/3 cup shredded Oaxaca cheese (Mexican Cheese- or you could use Monterrey Jack)

Directions:
Take the Masa and divide into 8 pieces. One at a time, roll out- not to thin- not to thick, and put a dollop of bean filling a sprinkling of cilantro and a sprinkling of cheese inside and fold into a pocket.
Fry up two at a time (not more... it gets a little crowded)- about 3-4 minutes on each side.

Serve with salsa/sour cream/guacamole as a garnish.

*Maggie DEVOURED these- she is my picky eater, and they were GONE.
I have to second her thoughts... Entirely delicious. :)

1 comment:

  1. I am definitely going to try these. They sound scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete