
I found this recipe on Sisters Cafe and we LOVE IT!! I made a few modifications. My family loved it so much is it on our list of favorite meals. It actually beat out my Mom's Chili and you know how much we love that one!
Note: This is fabulous served in a bread bowl. And I bet this recipe would be super yummy with this chicken stock from The Sisters Cafe as its base instead of the bouillon... Mmmmm
Yield: 6-8 servings- actually I think it is more like 10-12
½ c. butter
1 finely chopped onion
½ - 1 c. frozen corn (or ½ c. chopped celery, if preferred)-I used both.
½ lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
½ c. carrots, sliced
¾ c. all-purpose flour
6 ½ c. chicken broth (can use 7 bouillon cubes plus 6 ½ c. water)
2 c. cooked wild rice (once I tried using a box of wild rice/brown rice combo with a seasoning packet and it was great)-I used Trader Joes Basmati Rice Medly=so good!
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
½ tsp salt
½ tsp curry powder- I didn't have curry powder, so I used a little of chili powder and a little of cumin.
½ tsp mustard powder
½ tsp dried parsley
½ tsp black pepper
1 c. slivered almonds
2 c. half-and-half (you could use non-fat half-and-half for a low-fat version, but I haven't tried it.)
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion, corn, and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté 3-4 minutes more. Then add flour and stir well. Transfer mixture to a large pot. Over medium heat, gradually pour in the chicken broth, stirring constantly until all has been added. Bring just to a boil and then reduce heat to low and let simmer.
Next add the rice, chicken, salt, curry powder, mustard powder, parsley, ground black pepper and almonds. Allow to heat through then pour in the half-and-half. Let simmer for 1 to 1 ½ hours. Do not boil or the roux will break. Delicious served in a bread bowl as well.
Can you post your Chili recipe? I was actually craving it the other day. :)
ReplyDeleteThis recipe looks really yummy! Thanks for posting it.!
I will right now!
ReplyDelete