Thursday, April 23, 2009

Max and Erma's Tortilla Soup


Alright girls, I have been such a slacker at posting this recipe... simply for the fact that I'd have to go downstairs to get it! (I'm so lame!.. hehe!)

This tastes almost identical to Max and Erma's Tortilla soup. The only thing it's lacking is a little 'bite' in the after-taste, If you want to add a jalapeño for some zip, I'm sure that'll do. I've just never wanted to mess with the recipe, if you know what I mean.

Drum Roll Please:

2 Cans of each of the following Campbell's soups:

Cream of Mushroom
Cream of Chicken
Cream of Celery
Cheddar Cheese
(If you are like me and detest mushrooms I add another can of either the chicken or celery and add a can of Nacho Cheese soup to give it some zest)
2 Cans of 15oz Chicken Broth

Add all together in a large pan (or crock pot) and whisk together until smooth.
Then Add:
1 Cup Medium heat Salsa
1- 15oz pcan diced tomatoes
1- 4.5 oz can green chilies (If you want a kick to the soup- add about 1/4 cup of diced jalapenos instead of the chilies)
1 Medium onion diced
1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
4 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
1 tsp Chili powder
(Salt and pepper to taste.... although, I've never added either salt or pepper)

Stir all together and simmer for one hour (or just add to crock pot and keep going)

Add 4cups cooked chicken breast, cut into small chunks. Simmer for one more hour (or just let it go in the crock pot)

For Tortilla strips:
Cut flour tortillas into strips. Cut the strips in half to make smaller bites. Heat 1 1/2-2cups oil in a pan until it sizzles when you drop water in it, and fry the tortilla strips. Make them golden brown.

To serve:
Place soup into bowls and top with the following options:
Nacho Chips
Tortilla strips
Cheddar Cheese
Diced Green onion
Sour Cream.

Eat. Enjoy. Become Addicted.
(And a shout-out to Kelly Koenig who gave me this awesome, to-die for recipe! Holla')

* Recipe can be easily halved. Even halved it fills my crock pot over half way. (I've got the big crock pot too) It easily gives us a good 2 meals.

** Soup can also be FROZEN for a later meal. I like to freeze a big batch, and then plop it in the crock pot before church. It's hot and ready when I get home. Nice.

2 comments:

  1. I was going to ask, so I'm very HAPPY that you were able to post it!! I love this soup and it is great for food storage which I'm now working on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made this for my friend visiting and she begged for the recipe. She LOVED it. It's definitely a crowd pleaser. Thanks, Breezi.

    ReplyDelete