Thursday, April 16, 2009

Cordon Bleu Casserole


Ingredients:

  • 4 cups cubed cooked turkey (Or Chicken)
  • 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups half-and-half cream
  • 1 teaspoon dill weed
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • TOPPING:
  • 1 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine turkey, ham and cheese; set aside. In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add flour; stir to form a paste. Gradually add cream, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil 1 minute or until thick. Add dill, mustard and nutmeg; mix well. Remove from the heat and pour over meat mixture. Spoon into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Toss bread crumbs, butter and dill; stir in cheese and walnuts. Sprinkle over the casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8-10 servings.


**I've been looking at this recipe for a long time. It's from Taste of Homes. I finally decided to make it with leftover Easter Ham, and some Chicken that I had. I haven't eaten it yet (as it's for dinner) but tasting it while making it... it's yummy. I also didn't have any ground mustard, so I made it w/o.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so going to try this!!!! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, So now that I've made it and eaten it. It's simply delicious! The only thing I would change is to add something to it. like diced Potatoes or something. It's too... well.. meaty.

    You definitely need a veggie side dish to this!

    ReplyDelete