Sunday, February 9, 2014

Double High Five Orange Rolls


On the mission for the absolute perfect more orange-y Orange rolls?  After much tweaking and testing (my family started rolling their eyes when I mentioned the words Orange and Roll together..) I think I found THE one. The problem I was having with the others I found on Pinterest/recipe boards  was it was just a sugar sweet roll with a tiny hint of orange- or others tasted like pure butter bread with a tint of orange.  I mean, I am not one to complain about warm gooey bread and butter- but when you want an ORANGE roll, it should taste orange.


This makes a big batch. I got 18 rolls out of it.
(I had to use my 9X13 dish and an extra 8X8 dish....)


Double High Five Orange Rolls




Roll Dough- 1 TBSP White Sugar
1 TBSP active dry yeast
1 Cup warm milk
1/2 c warm water
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup instant vanilla pudding mix
2 Tsp orange extract
1/4 cup orange juice concentrate (straight up- melted)
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt





Filling-
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup orange marmalade
2 tsp orange extract
1 cup white sugar
1 TBSP cinnamon
1/4 cup orange juice concentrate, melted
1/2 cup dark brown sugar


Frosting- 
1 (8 oz) packet softened cream cheese
1/2 cup butter, softened
3  heaping cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons orange extract
1/4 cup orange juice concentrate, melted
1/4 tsp salt
1-2 TBSP milk-if needed

Method-
If you have a bread machine (and I absolutely ADORE my bread machine), throw all the dough ingredients in. Set it on the dough cycle- Press start-  and 90 minutes later you have perfect dough.  Totally easy.  (seriously, every time Chip goes to the thrift stores there are no less than 10 bread machines at each one- it's worth it to get one. I use mine at least once a day for some sort of dough or another.)

If you don't have a bread machine (I'm crying for you) here's what you need to do.

1. Sprinkle 1 TBSP white sugar and yeast over warm milk and water in a large bowl. Let stand until yeast creates a frothy foam, about 5 minutes. Mix in egg, orange juice, pudding mix, and orange extract.  Stiff in flour  and salt. Add more flour if dough is too sticky.

When dough is all together, turn it out on a lightely floured surface and knead until smooth- for about 8-10 minutes.

2. Place in a well greased bowl  and cover with a clean towel. Allow dough to rise in a warm area until double in size- or about 90 minutes.

3. Combine all filling ingredients, except for the dark brown sugar, into a paste.  (I melt the butter and orange juice concentrate together then add from there.)

4. When dough has reached proper size, roll out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough out as large as you can get it (The bigger your dough is spread, the more spirals in the roll). Once dough is rolled out, smear the filling paste over the entire surface of the dough. Sprinkle with the dark brown sugar.

Roll dough into a spiral shape. Slice into desired sizes and place orange rolls in a greased pan (I prefer glass pans)

5. Cover with a clean towel and allow rolls to rise an additional 30-45 minutes.

6. uncover rolls, and place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown and centers aren't doughy.

7. While rolls are baking cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Stir in powdered sugar, orange juice, orange extract and salt.  If frosting is too thick add 1 TBSP milk as needed.

Spread over slightly cooled rolls.

Eat. Enjoy. Make again.


adapted from High Five Orange rolls by Rae at Allrecipes.com

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I love my bread machine, too ... but I don't know if it's big enough for all those ingredients. It might max out at 3 1/2 cups of flour. Wah! (I was going for EASY here!)

    ReplyDelete