When Chip was a small boy his mom and dad-finding themselves low on money despite working their tail ends off, started selling these pastries by the dozens. Most of the stories are about that time when they were making and selling them. It also became a Christmas tradition to have them around.
You can fill them with many things- applesauce, lemon pudding + almond extract, french vanilla pudding, butterscotch pudding... ... whatever suits your fancy.
The recipe I am writing is the original recipe given to me by my mom in law.
It makes 6 pretty big pastries.
I always 1/2 the recipe. (unless, of course, I'm at a family gathering- when one batch isn't enough... ;D) I also always omit the nuts (just not a nut fan)... but I will write them in, as that is how it's supposed to go.
Danish Pastries
You will need:
1 lb. butter
2 C. Milk
3 1/2 Cups plus 1 Tbsp. Sugar
2 pkg. yeast (rapid rise or regular)
3/4-1 cup broken nuts
3 eggs
1 tsp. salt
12-13 C. Flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 jar applesauce (if you are doing multiple fillings you don't need the full jar- I only use one of those single serve applesauce cups per pastry- which is I think, 1/2 cup.)
maraschino cherries (I didn't have on hand... so they weren't in the picture)
Directions:
1. In a small bowl, put 1 T. sugar and 1/2 C. warm water.
2. Sprinkle the 2 pkg. yeast on the warm water. Stir and let soften. (let it sit for like 5 minutes)
3. Heat the milk. Add 2 sticks butter and remove from heat.
4. Put 1 C. sugar, 5 C. flour and the salt in a large bowl.
5. Add softened yeast mixture, 2 beaten eggs and warm milk/butter mixture. Beat just to mix.
6. Add 6-7 more cups flour. Mix thoroughly. This will make a soft dough. (If dough is too soft, add more flour, mixing thoroughly as you go. Don't add too much- it will be a little sticky.)
7. Cover and let raise while you make the rest of the ingredients.
**It doesn't raise much. I let it sit for over 30 minutes and it doesn't even come close to doubling.... but don't worry.**
Cinnamon filling:
Mix until crumbly:
1/2-1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup pats
2 tsp. Cinnamon
Crumb Mixture:
(which in the pictures- was accidentally put on the OUTSIDE of the pastry.... and it still tastes great)
Mix until crumbly-
1 stick butter
1 C flour
1 C sugar
1/4 cup nuts
Glaze:
1 egg white, beaten until frothy
Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup nuts
Make each pastry on a rectangle of heavy duty foil. Grease the foil (non-stick spray). Divide the dough into six parts for large pastries, or smaller portions for smaller pastries. Press the dough out in an oval shape on the foil. Mark the dough to "divide" it into thirds. The filling will go in the middle section.
**These are mom's original artwork of how to do it... I thought I'd add them to these directions... just click on the image to enlarge**
Spread applesauce (or whatever filling you desire) over the middle section of the pastry. Sprinkle with several tablespoons of both the cinnamon filling and crumb mixture.Cut the edges of the dough into strips (scissors work nicely). "Braid" the dough by crossing the strips back and forth over the filling, tucking the ends inside the woven strips, and tucking the woven strips under the end of the pastry. (fold the ends up first... then braid back and forth.)
Brush on the egg white glaze. Sprinkle with the sugar/nut topping. Decorate with pieces of maraschino cherries.
Fold edges of foil up to make a baking "pan" and place directly on an oven rack (or just slide the pastry with the foil under it on a cookie sheet... like I do)
Bake 25-35 minutes, or until golden brown, in a 350 degree oven.
Makes 6 large pastries.
Cut into pieces and thoroughly enjoy every single bite.

No comments:
Post a Comment