Sunday, May 31, 2009

Annie's Lazy Daisy Oatmeal Cake with Cream Sauce

I found this recipe on this blog (LINK) and I knew that I just had to try it. I am so glad that I did! When I asked Alli how she liked it she was like "MMmmmm.... You should make this again in 28 years! Maybe even more if you want to!". What a funny kid. I guess she doesn't realize that I am not even 28 yet. :)


Recipe for the Oatmeal Cake:
1 Cup Old Fashioned Oats
1/2 Cup Boiling Water
1/2 Cup Butter
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
1-1/2 Cups Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt

In a small bowl pour boiling water over oats. Cover and let sit for 20 minutes. (I didn't have old fashioned oats... only the quick oats. When I added the 1/2 cup of water on top of the oats, it seemed way to dry. I added about 1/2 cup more boiling water to the oatmeal. It makes a thick oatmeal.) In a large bowl, cream sugars and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs and Vanilla. Mix in cooked oats until combined. Sift together all of the dry ingredients and add to the butter mix. (I didn't "sift" all the ingredients together, I just added everything into the wet mixture). Beat until all incorporated. Batter will be thick like a brownie batter. Put into a greased 8X8 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes (I pre-heated my oven, and it was done in 45 minutes), or until a toothpick comes out with some crumbs. Let cool and drizzle with glaze.

(Cake tastes like an oatmeal cookie.... only in cake form.... delish!)



Sweet Custard Glaze
1 Stick Butter
1 Cup Evaporated Milk
1 Cup Sugar
2 Egg Yolks
1 tsp. Vanilla

Place all ingredients in a medium sauce pan. Melt together, stirring constantly, over medium heat. Bring to a boil, continue stirring, cook until thickened. Serve over cake either warm or cooled. Top with whipped cream, nuts &/or coconut.

** SIDE NOTE #1 **
I followed the directions the first time I made it... just putting all ingredients into the pan and mixing it up while heating it. WRONG. My egg yolks chunked up, because the butter didn't melt fast enough.... YUCKY. So I threw that batch out. Luckily I had another can of evaporated milk on hand.
The second time I melted the butter first, and let it cool down a minute. The I added all the other ingredients except the egg and stirred it together. I then whisked the egg into the liquid, and continued to whisk it until it started boiling. Ta-da... no chunks!

** SIDE NOTE #2 **
The custard is super super yummy, however it is super super sweet. I cut the cake into 2X3 squares (approx) and drizzled about 3 table spoons of the custard on top of it. I had to drink about 32 oz of liquid to eat the cake. It is so moist, so rich, and so yummy. Be sure you have plenty of milk on hand when you make this cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment